Counseling Psychologist | Managing Director
Reem is a licensed, U.S.-trained Counseling Psychologist working in the field for 12 years across three countries. She is a member of The American Counseling Association (ACA), The Academy of Eating Disorders (AED), and is Licensed by the Community Development Authority (CDA).
Reem studied at the American University in Cairo (AUC). She then completed her Masters in Counseling Mental Health and Wellness at New York University (NUY). Reem also attended an internship at The Center of the Study of Anorexia and Bulimia (CSAB) where she received extensive training, lectures and supervision focused on working with eating disorders and addiction disorders. Later on, Reem completed extensive training by Paula Hall, PhD focused on working with sex addiction disorders.
Qualifications & Experience
Reem views herself as an eclectic Psychotherapist, drawing heavily on psychodynamic theories combined with existential and humanistic approaches. She conceptualizes using object relations, attachment and relational theories. In psychotherapy, Reem empowers individuals to rewrite their stories and overcome their past struggles essential to reaching higher levels of inner peace and emotional growth.
She views the experience of psychotherapy as an opportunity for emotional development and an increase in insight. She helps her clients understand how their experiences have led them to be where they are in life. It is this awareness that is then used to bring about positive change.
- Certificate of attendance. “Using the HEART method in working with Couples.” October 2018. Play Therapy” course OPP – (Portuguese Psychologists Association certification).
- Certificate of completion, “Working with Sexual Addiction.” November 2016.
- Certificate of attendance. “Understanding Acceptance Commitment Therapy.” October 2016.
- Certificate of attendance. The Renfrew Center Foundation for Eating Disorders Conference for Professionals. The Feminist Relational Perspectives and Beyond: Integrated Approaches to the Complexity of Eating Disorders. November 7-9, 2013.
- Treating Eating Disorders,” Masters of Counseling Program. The American University in Cairo. November 2012.
- Certificate of attendance. The Renfrew Center Foundation for Eating Disorders Conference for Professionals. The Feminist Relational Perspectives and Beyond: Exploring Controversies. November 9-11, 2012.
- Certificate of attendance. The Renfrew Center Foundation for Eating Disorders Conference for Professionals. Feminist Relational Perspectives and Beyond: The Next Generation. November 11-13, 2011.
- Certificate of Attendance. The American University in Cairo. International Refugee Law. Short Course. June 2007.
- Certificate of Attendance. The American University in Cairo. Addressing Psychosocial Needs of Refugees. Short course. June 2007.
Book an appointment to meet with Reem Shaheen if you’re dealing with any of the following:
- Anxiety and Persistent Worry
- Alcohol and Substance Abuse/Addiction
- Body Image and Self Esteem Problems
- Depression, Sadness, or General Unhappiness
- Eating Disorders
- Grief, Loss, & Bereavement
- General Life Dissatisfaction
- Low Self Esteem
- Marital, Romantic, and Peer Relationship Problems
- Self-Harm Behaviors
- Sex Addiction
- Suicidal Thoughts
- Social Difficulties
- Stress Related Problems
- Panic attacks